Sunday, September 15, 2013

Love you forever




“I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
as long as I’m living
my baby you’ll be.”

Beckham gets to choose his bedtime stories after he brushes his teeth. He has his current favorites in his room in a little stack and we usually read them for a few nights before he decides he wants different ones. On Wednesday night, the evening we were told they were certain it was cancer, I picked up his stack of books and this particular book was placed in the mix. Even though this book has been in our collection for years, he has never selected it.
When I sat down next to Beckham's bed and asked him what book he wanted me to read, he wanted none other, but the "I love you forever" book. Of course, this is such a special book...just with the news we received that day it was not one that I was particularly excited to read. I told myself that I don't want to cry in front of him. I don't want him to see me sad. I tried offering other books in the stack.
He insisted though...

“I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
as long as I’m living (or I'd rather say instead, "Forever and ever")
my baby you’ll be.”


3 comments:

  1. I can't hold back the tears about this. I'm so sorry this is happening! Wishing I could take the pain away for you guys or wave a wand and make it all go away. Beckham is such a brave sweet boy. We love you guys! Praying and fasting for you and thinking of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book. It must have broken your heart! Thanks for sharing all of your tender feelings with us. We love you and your family....
    We are just finishing our fast on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just brought tears to my eyes.

    My mama used to read that story to me all the time when I was little . . . I grew to love it so much that I even bought it for my little cousin a couple of years ago. I'm 21 years old now, but I still look at my mama sometimes and think about the stories that she read me as a child, how much it meant to me . . . I pray that your little boy gets well and grows up big and strong, so that when he's older he will look back on the precious memory of you reading him this story.

    I will keep little Beckham and you and your family in my heart and prayers. I have no words . . .

    Love and prayers,
    Sunnie

    ReplyDelete